Director of Nursing Hospice, Hampton RoadsRequisition R073405 Market Portsmouth, VA Department Hospice Care - Maryview Shift Days Schedule Full-time
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours!
Reporting to the Administrative Director of Operations for Home Health and Hospice Services, the Director oversees two direct staff & 26 FTEs (skilled nurses, medical director, bereavement counselor, MSW, chaplain, volunteers) with responsibility for day-to-day administration and management of a licensed and certified hospice program. With growing average daily census of 75 patients, the role is based in Suffolk, requiring travel spanning Williamsburg, Newport News, Virginia Beach and the Franklin areas.
The primary responsibilities: develops policies and procedures for program management which comply with Joint Commission, Medicare, Medicaid and state regulatory standards in cooperation with Administrative Directors and the Medical staffs; responsible for ensuring that care provided to patients is of excellent quality, meets home care rules and regulations, and follows physician’s orders; manage the adherence to the Automobile Safety Program per BSM Health policy.
Critical to the role: promote hospice services to individuals, groups, medical communities; drive team engagement and patient satisfaction; manage accreditation/compliance, financials, clinical outcomes, and employee relations.
The ideal candidate will have a valid RN Virginia licensure and a minimum of a two-year associates degree in nursing; eight years hospice experience (two years in management); Joint Commission Survey experience.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develops and implements policies and procedures which are approved by the governing body and meets COP standards state licensure and other regulatory agencies. Participates in the formation of operational & strategic goal setting to ensure positive outcome and program growth; head the interdisciplinary review process, works in conjunction with the Administrative Director to prepare departmental organization chart and lines of authority & communication.
- Maintain compliance with legal, regulatory and accreditation requirements. Ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations implementing corrective action as needed in response to regulatory agencies and/or governing body to ensure licensure and certifications guidelines for Virginia, Medicare conditions of participation, and The Joint Commission.
- Participates in the development and submission of budget recommendations. Supervises & monitors business operations and administrative functions to ensure financial stability to meet program objective, departmental goals and community needs.
- Addresses and responds to internal and external complaint/conflict Management and resolution; collaborates verbal and written communication to reach outcomes which offer a seamless continuum of care and service delivery.
- Responsible for ensuring adequate staffing recruits and selects staff in conjunction with Human Resources. Develops position descriptions and maintains all departmental personnel files. Coaches/counsels employee as required to improve performance, initiates disciplinary action when warranted, with advice and counsel of Human Resources staff. Make supportive services available to staff to address sensitive stressors experienced by staff working with hospice patients/families.
- Direct staff in the performance of their duties to ensure referrals and the provision of care is acted upon in a timely manner. Consults with Medical Director to assure appropriateness of care is being followed. Ensures the structure and system promotes interdisciplinary and continuity of care.
- Oversee and participate in the planning of staff development and skills enhancement including orientation, in-services, continuing education and competency testing. Conducts and facilitates education opportunities for community groups and volunteers.
- Oversees the hospice volunteer program and participates in the recruitment and training process with Volunteer Manager/Coordinator.
- In conjunction with the Public Relations Department, develops, coordinates, and evaluates a PR program to enhance and maintain a positive image presentation within the organization and community to promote knowledge and understanding of the hospice concept of care.
- Demonstrates awareness of adherence to safety and legal requirements established at the departmental level. Participates in Risk Management investigations. Monitors and evaluates the implementation and operation of a viable Performance Improvement/Quality Assurance (PI/QA) program/committee outcome.
- Manages the Bon Secours Foundation Funds for Hospice and maintains ongoing communication with Foundation office to ensure accuracy. Provides oversight for fund development activities, in conjunction with the Foundation Development Department and hospice advisory committee
- Oversees the Bereavement component of the Hospice program, which is led by Bereavement Center Manager and/or Hospice Bereavement Coordinator
- Works closely and collaborates with the Administrative Directors to establish contractual agreements for various products and services as required by the Medicare COPs.
- Demonstrates leadership competencies in attendance at Management meetings seminars in-services to expand skill development for professional growth. Serves on boards/committees of the organization, state and local agencies to further promote end of life care.
Bon Secoursis an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Department:Hospice Care - Maryview
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email email@example.com. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I wanted to get into a career where I’m happy to go to work.Luis F. Registered Nurse