LPN - Emergency Room PRN - Nights - SMC - ED
At Bon Secours our nurses are able to see the impact they can have on our patients’ lives. We encourage and support our nurses as they develop and grow in their profession. Whether you are a new graduate nurse or joining us further along in your career we have opportunities and multiple career path options for you. Every patient means the world to someone and at Bon Secours our nurses mean the world to us.
“The employees make you feel like you are a family. You will gain a lot of experience working there from seeing the different variety of people you will care for. They offer tuition reimbursement for employees who are going to school as long as the classes are work related.”
What makes a successful Nurse at Bon Secours?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Compassion — We commit to accompanying those we serve with mercy and tenderness, recognizing that "being with" is as important as "doing for".
- Human dignity — We commit to upholding the sacredness of life and being respectful and inclusive of everyone.
- Service — We commit to providing the highest quality in every dimension of our ministry.
- Stewardship — We commit to promoting the responsible use of all human and financial resources, including Earth itself.
- Integrity — We commit to acting ethically and modeling right relationships in all of our individual and organizational encounters.
LPN - Emergency Room PRN - Nights - SMC - EDRequisition R115983 Market Petersburg, Virginia Department Emergency Services - Southside RMC - Petersburg Shift All Schedule Part-time
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours!
Southside Regional Medical Center is your community health care provider, a 300-bed facility located on a 50-acre campus with nearly 400 physicians representing more than 40 specialties. We work hard every day to be a place of healing, caring and connection for patients and families in the community we call home. Bon Secours – Southside Medical Center serves the communities of Petersburg, Hopewell, Colonial Heights, Fort Lee and Chester and the counties of Prince George, Dinwiddie, Sussex, Surry and Southern Chesterfield.
Night Shift 7p-7a
Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
In collaboration with the interdisciplinary team and under the supervision of the professional Registered Nurse, the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) provides skilled nursing care and administers medications to patients.
Essential Job Functions
• Under the direction of a Licensed Professional (e.g., Physician, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, or Registered Nurse), participates in the nursing process to include assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the patient’s plan of care accurately and in a timely manner while collaborating with other nurses and members of the healthcare team.
• Gives direct nursing care and assists with care of the patient at the direction of a Registered Nurse, Licensed Physician, Physician Assistant, or Advanced Practice Nurse.
• Contributes to the plan of care with input from patient/family and other members of the healthcare team.
• Performs patient data collection and observation considering patient's age group, severity of condition/disease (including physical, psychosocial, cultural, environmental, self-care, and education needs), and coordination of resources and referrals.
• Collect and document objective data, subjective data, and patient care including focused observations such as pain, pain relief, results of treatments, updates to plan of care, implementation, and evaluation of care following unit specific and hospital charting guidelines.
• Implements patient care in a safe, knowledgeable, skillful, consistent, and continuous manner.
• Administers ordered medications and treatments, such as wound dressing changes and asthma treatment, prescribed by a Licensed Physician, Physician Assistant, or Nurse Practitioner using appropriate medical equipment as needed.
• Performs phlebotomy services
• Contributes to the evaluation of the patient’s response to nursing interventions, involving the patient, family, significant others, or other members of the health care team appropriately; documents and communicates patient’s responses to appropriate members of the healthcare team.
• Recognizes and reports significant changes in the patient's condition and contributes to plan of care revision based on ongoing evaluation.
• Evaluates effectiveness of patient care and the processes for achieving positive patient outcomes.
• Demonstrates sensitivity to the needs of a diverse patient population.
• Adheres to the safety policies and procedures of the organization. Recognizes and reports potential safety issues.
• Delegates delegable nursing tasks in accordance with the local State Board of Nursing Administrative Code.
• Accepts accountability and responsibility for delivery of care for optimal patient outcomes.
• Complies with all HIPPA and OSHA policies.
• Practices infection control procedures.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Current Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) from the state of employment (required)
BLS Basic Life Support - American Heart Association (required)
ACLS Advanced Cardiac Life Support (may be required for specialty areas)
PALS Pediatric Advanced Life Support (may be required for specialty areas)
NRP Neonatal Resuscitation Program (may be required for specialty areas)
1 year of clinical patient care experience (e.g., PCT, CNA, LPN) in an acute care setting, long-term care facility, or physician practice (preferred)
EPIC Electronic Health Record (EHR) training (preferred)
Completion of Basic Arrhythmia class with passing grade on exam (required for Telemetry/Remote Telemetry units)
Monitor patient conditions during treatment
Administer medications within scope
Inform medical professionals regarding patient conditions and care
Record patient medical histories
Analyze data and information
Attention to detail
Acceptance of authority
Communication with family members
Verbal and written communication
Time management skills
Patient Care Plans
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse
May be required to use physical restraints
May be exposed to adverse weather conditions; cold, hot, dust, wind, etc.
May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids*
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious materials*
May have periods of constant interruptions
* Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Lifting/Carrying (0-50 lbs.): 34-66%
Lifting/Carrying (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (0-50 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Additional Physical Requirements/Hazards
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Perform shift work
Maneuver weight of patients
Hear alarms/telephone/audio recorder
Reach above shoulder
Repetitive arm/hand movements
Acuity - far
Acuity - near
Use of latex products
Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents
Exposure to moving mechanical parts
Exposure to dust/fumes
Exposure to potential electrical shock
Exposure to x ray/electromagnetic energy
Exposure to high pitched noises
Gaseous risk exposure
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in departmental policies and procedures.
Neonates (0-4 weeks)
Infant (1-12 months)
Pediatrics (1-12 years)
Adolescents (13-17 years)
Adults (18-64 years)
Geriatrics (65 years and older)
Bon Secoursis an equal opportunity employer.
Many of our opportunities reward* your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- Employer contributions to retirement savings plan when eligible
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
*Benefits offerings vary according to employment status
Scheduled Weekly Hours:0.01
Department:Emergency Services - Southside RMC - Petersburg
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com.
In some instances, the nurse’s voice and touch is the last thing a patient will hear or feel. This is part of our calling as nurses, to be there for our patients in all stages of life, from the beginning to the very end.Ali L. Registered Nurse
You have to care to be able to heal. It makes a difference. That’s what it means to be a Bon Secours nurse. The core of nursing comes from the heart.AGnes K. BSN, RN, CMRSN
Paid Time Off
Recently Viewed Jobs
- Gift Shop Coordinator - Southampton Memorial Hospital - Full Time Franklin, Virginia
- RN - Registered Nurse - Chester Emergency Department - FT Mids Midlothian, Virginia
- Patient Care Tech PRN Nights Midlothian, Virginia